Thursday 5 May 2011

The filming and editing process- step by step.

This post is going to outline each section of my video, from start to finish, with how it was filmed and then how it was edited.


Part 1. Introduction-

I wanted my music video to have a sort clip at the beginning with the title of the song. I thought it would be cool if it incorporated some of the 'neon' colour I was planning on using throughout the video. In the end I created a short flashing clip in blue, green and pink. At first I wasn't sure how I could do this and thought I may have to try and find a programme which does it for you, but then I thought maybe you could create a a presentation on Powerpoint, then convert it to a movie. This way you can simply create two different slides in different colours and alternate between them to give the impression they are flashing. I then took this and speeded it up in IMovie.

Part 2. Surfboard-

During the instrumental at the beginning of the song I wanted to actually have someone surfing.  As I don't actually have a surfboard, or know anyone that can surf, this was going to be difficult. In the end I decided to try and use my mums washing board. It looked a bit funny but I think it works in a 'kooky' kind of way. I then lay the green screen on the floor and got one of my 'surf girls' to try and imitate surfing on it. I then took the clip into Imovie and green-screened it onto a blue background. A kind of 'home-made' surfing clip.

Part 3. Mugshots-

The next part of the video consists of two short clips of my two 'surf girls'. I tried to film the two clips against a white background in kind of old fashioned lifeguard poses.

Part 4. Verse 1-

For verse one I green screened in a simple background of a beach and palm tree. I used this to set the scene but I didn't want anything too busy. It was extremely hard to find a clip online of a beach which was free. Most websites wanted you to buy the clips but in the end, after  lot of looking, I managed to find a website which supplied free clips. After the clip had been green screened I decided to add subtitles at the bottom incase my signing wasn't clear enough.

Part 5. Chorus 1-

For the first time the chorus is played I filmed a shot of the two 'surf girls' with their heads back to back mouthing the lyrics of the song. I used this clip as lip reading can be very important to deaf people as it is another way for them to understand what people are saying. I tried to make sure their mouthing was really clear. Afterwards in I movie I inserted a green-screened clip of me signing into the corner of the screen.

Part 6. Short Instrumental-

In the short instrumental between the chorus and 2nd verse I added a few short clips of the 'surf girls'. They had been green-screened into beachy backgrounds.

Part 7. Verse 2-

Verse two was also of me signing. This time it was green- screened onto a different beach background. For this verse I also included the subtitles.

Part 8. Chorus 2-

For the second time the chorus is played I took the footage of the 'surf girls' mouthing along and then cut it in half so each girls was on a separate clip. I then took the clips, rotated them, and then put them at the top of the screen. At the bottom of the screen I used a yellow background and then green-screened me in again. It was really difficult to make sure all three individual clips were in time with each other and the music.

Part 9. Down Down Baby-

During the refrain at the end of the song, which is repeated four times, I once again used me signing. But to make it look more interesting I edited it so I am signing but the colour of the background behind me changes at the beginning of each repeat of the refrain.

Part 10. 2x chorus-

At the end of the song the chorus is repeated twice and I use the clips from the two previous choruses.













CREDITS- At the end of the video I give thanks to my extras and the students at sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment