Thursday 5 May 2011

Learning the BSL signs for the music video.



Beverly Sutton, a BSL instructor at Sense Dereham, has kindly agreed to teach me the signs to The Drum's 'Let's go surfing'. she didn't only teach me the signs but also the importance of the signing frame and the transitions between each sign.

I found the signs hard to learn as they have to all be kept quite close to your chest and within a small space called your 'signing frame'. Once I had learnt all the signs I had to put them to the music. This was really difficult as the lyrics to the music are really fast and it is hard to sign that fast. After about 2 and a half hours  I'd got most of the signs and was able to go away and practice them by myself.

The video bellow show one of the signing practices. The running at the begging (which looks really funny) was me trying to 'emphasise the beat'. We left that out in the end. This was one of my first attempts : 


No comments:

Post a Comment